This passover challenge is more difficult than I thought it would be. Especially when it comes to breakfast. For me, the first meal of the day is not complete without a stereotypical carb. If I can’t eat a big bowl of cereal or grab an english muffin, I’m not happy. These last few morning of yogurt and berries, although delicious, has been slightly unsatisfying.
So this morning I tried to make my breakfast out of a yeast-free grain: QUINOA
Known for its high protein and dietary fiber levels, people commonly use this grain for savory dishes (like those quinoa stuffed peppers I made). But today I tried to turn this side into a pseudocereal, and it was a great success.
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Quinoa
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of quinoa — RINSE prior to use
- Brown sugar (1 to 2 tsp)
- Cinnamon (1 to 2 tsp)
- Chopped walnuts
- Mix milk, water, and quinoa in a sauce pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed
- Mix in brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts.
- Curl up on the couch and enjoy this tasty treat.
Obvious, you can substitute the raisins and walnuts for any dried fruit/nut combo. No matter what you mix in, this is the perfect passover breakfast.